Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Arisaig, Borrodale House

Farmhouse (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Arisaig, Borrodale House

Classification Farmhouse (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Airsaig Estate, Home Farm

Canmore ID 22522

Site Number NM68NE 3

NGR NM 69453 85019

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/22522

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Arisaig And Moidart
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Lochaber
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Recording Your Heritage Online

Borrodale House, later 18th century; remodelled, Philip Webb, 1864 Polite but plain Georgian tacksman's house, originally a standard three-bays (left-hand end), enlarged c.1790 by the improving John Macdonald of Borrodale. The house is unique among this ubiquitous genre in having received the discreet attention of one of England's leading Arts & Crafts architects -Philip Webb -whose buildings for the Arisaig Estate were his only works in Scotland. In 1864, when Borrodale had been relegated to the status of home farm, Webb converted the by then derelict house into two dwellings for the factor and coachman, adding stone-cheeked dormers and a slated verandah/loggia. The likely site of the earlier house of the Macdonalds of Borrodale, which was burned out in 1746, is the low, round-ended wing that projects shoulder-on to the prevailing wind and possibly originated as a typical 'creel house' of the period (see Erracht). It was described by Lieut. Frogier de Kermadec of the French privateer Le Mars (which was anchored in Loch nan Uamh in 1746) as a poorly lit structure of one room, with just a few sticks of furniture. For more on Borrodale's Jacobite history.

Taken from "Western Seaboard: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Mary Miers, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Archaeology Notes

NM68NE 3.00 69453 85019

NM68NE 3.01 NM 69461 85046 Steading

The site of the old Borrodale House, where Prince Charles Edward Stewart stayed at the start of his campaign (Bundell 1907) was on or near Arisaig House built in 1849 at NM 6915 8485 (Ordnance Survey Name Book [ONB] 1880).

Murray states that Borrodale House was destroyed in 1746, and that the present house (at NM 6945 8501) is built on the same site, of the same stones and to the same plan.

Name Book 1880; F O Blundell 1907; W H Murray 1968.

Murray's information verified locally.

Visited by OS (N K B) 18 May 1970.

Architecture Notes

Architect: Philip Webb, alterations and additions 1874

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions