Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Kiel, Cill Choluimchille, Old Parish Church

Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Church (Medieval)

Site Name Kiel, Cill Choluimchille, Old Parish Church

Classification Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Church (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Lochaline, Keil Church; Lochaline, Old Parish Church; Cill Choluim Chille; Al Calumch

Canmore ID 22431

Site Number NM64NE 2

NGR NM 67039 45118

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/22431

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Morvern
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Lochaber
  • Former County Argyll

Archaeology Notes

NM64NE 2 67039 45118

For present church (NM 6709 4519) and cross (NM 6709 4512), see NM64NE 1 and NM64NE 4 respectively.

(NM 6704 4512) Cill Choluimchille (NR)

OS 1:10,000 map, (1975)

Kilcolmkill (Argyll, Morvern). Known also as the church of St Columba in Kenevaden or Morvern, it always appears to have remained a free parsonage. It lay originally within the patronage of the Lords of the Isles, on whose forfeiture it passed to the crown, with whom it continued, although as was customary, one quarter of the fruits pertained to the bishops of Argyll.

I B Cowan 1967.

Old Parish Church and Burial-ground, Cill Choluim Chille: The scanty remains of one of the two medieval parish churches of Morvern stand within an extensive churchyard, some 55m SW of the present Keil Church (at NM 6709 4517), the third on the site, which was built in 1898 (SDD Listed: C {SDD 1960-}). The principal surviving feature of medieval date is an archway which probably led from the body of the church into a N transept or burial-aisle. This now forms part of the massive S wall of an enclosure measuring about 5m square within walls averaging 1.1m in thickness, evidently a burial-aisle of late date. The enclosure wall also incorporates numerous re-used sandstone fragments, which are of late medieval date as is the archway.

About 6m to the S of the burial-aisle described above, there is a similar structure, which may replace an earlier aisle built against the S wall of the medieval church. A lintel above the entrance states that this aisle was re-built in ? 1733.

Although the earliest of the visible remains are of late medieval date, evidence for a 13th-century building on the site was recorded by Dr Ross (1914) who identified two stones, wrought with dog-tooth ornament, which he ascribed to that period. These fragments could not be located at the date of visit.

The dedication was to St Columba.

(See also NM64NE 1 and NM64NE 4. )

Surveyed at 1:2500.

SDD 1960-; T Ross 1914; RCAHMS 1980, visited 1980.

Visited by OS (NKB) 15 June 1970.

Activities

Field Visit (6 July 1943)

This site was included within the RCAHMS Emergency Survey (1942-3), an unpublished rescue project. Site descriptions, organised by county, vary from short notes to lengthy and full descriptions and are available to view online with contemporary sketches and photographs. The original typescripts, manuscripts, notebooks and photographs can also be consulted in the RCAHMS Search Room.

Information from RCAHMS (GFG) 10 December 2014.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions