Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Kilmory, Cill Mhairi

Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Chapel (Period Unassigned), Font (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Kilmory, Cill Mhairi

Classification Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Chapel (Period Unassigned), Font (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Kilmory Burial Ground

Canmore ID 22342

Site Number NM56NW 1

NGR NM 5312 6998

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/22342

Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Ardnamurchan
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Lochaber
  • Former County Argyll

Archaeology Notes

NM56NW 1 5312 6998

(NM 5312 6998) Cill Mhairi (NR) (Remains of)

OS 6" map, Argyllshire, 2nd ed., (1902)

(NM 5312 6998) Cill Mhairi (NR) (site of)

OS 1:10,000 map, (1974)

Only faint traces of the foundations of this pre-Reformation chapel remain, within the old graveyard. It was dedicated to the Virgin Mary. Most of the gravestones are uninscribed; Donaldson found the head of a solid wheel cross there, but could not find the font, Tobar Baistidh, said to be there. It measures 2ft long, with a bowl-shaped depression.

Name Book 1872; M E M Donaldson 1923.

Activities

Field Visit (8 June 1970)

All that can be seen of the chapel are the amorphous turf-covered footings of the S wall, about 17.0m long, in the centre of the burial ground. The baptismal font described above lies within the area of the chapel. The graveyard, known locally as Cill Mhairi, is still used, and the broken wheel cross survives.

Surveyed at 1:10,560.

Visited by OS (N K B) 8 June 1970.

Field Visit (1972)

Chapel (Site) and Burial-ground, Cill Mhairi: There are no visible remains of the chapel that formerly existed on this site, unless its position is marked by a shapeless mound at the centre of the burial-ground. The surrounding dry-stone wall, which is of 19th-century date, encloses a sub-oval area measuring 37m from E to W by 27m from N to S, and may follow the line of an earlier boundary. The earliest identifiable tombstones are of 19th-century date.

In the burial-ground there is a fragment of a free-standing ringed cross which is at present used as a headstone. The ring measures 0.58m in diameter externally, and the undecorated shaft, which is broken off 0.50m below the head, is 0.09m in thickness.

RCAHMS 1980, visited 1972.

Note

For cross, see NM56NW 1.00.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions