Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Kirkintilloch, Eastside, Lion Foundry

Foundry (19th Century)

Site Name Kirkintilloch, Eastside, Lion Foundry

Classification Foundry (19th Century)

Canmore ID 216122

Site Number NS67SE 129

NGR NS 6557 7402

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/216122

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Dunbartonshire
  • Parish Kirkintilloch (Strathkelvin)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Strathkelvin
  • Former County Dunbartonshire

Activities

Publication Account (2009)

The best known foundry in Kirkintilloch was the Lion Foundry (fig 29.28), on the north side of the canal across from the Old Foundry, which opened in 1880 and soon gained a good reputation for making ornamental castings, gates, railings, fountains, shelters and bandstands. The Perry Bandstand (fig 29.29) and the Hudson Fountain (fig 19) (both listed Category C(S)) in Peel Park, gifted to the town at the start of the twentieth century, were manufactured by the Lion Foundry. By the early twentieth century the foundry covered 5 acres (2ha) and employed around 500 men and boys.

Information from ‘The Scottish Burgh Survey, Historic Kilsyth: Archaeology and Development’ (2009).

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions