Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Tiree, Balephetrish

Cup Marked Stone (Prehistoric)

Site Name Tiree, Balephetrish

Classification Cup Marked Stone (Prehistoric)

Alternative Name(s) Clach Na Choire; Clach A' Choire; Clach-a-coille; Ringing Stone

Canmore ID 21529

Site Number NM04NW 6

NGR NM 0268 4869

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/21529

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Tiree
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Argyll And Bute
  • Former County Argyll

Archaeology Notes

NM04NW 6 0268 4869.

(NM 0268 4869) Ringing Stone (NAT) Cup marked Stone (NR)

OS 1:10,000 map, (1976)

This massive granite erratic, known locally as 'The Ringing Stone' because of the metallic ring it produces when struck, is situated on the N coast of Tiree 1.8km NE of Balephetrish. Measuring about 3.4m by 2.4m and 1.8m in height, it lies balanced on the rocks some 15 m inland from high-water mark. On its sides and upper surface it bears at least fifty-three circular or oval depressions, of which twenty are large and, in most cases, oval in shape, measuring up to 230mm by 150mm across and 60mm deep; the remainder are smaller and predominantly circular, averaging 70mm in diameter and 10mm in depth. There can be no doubt that these markings are artificial and, while several of them are unusually large, the presence among them of many small circular cups, indistinguishable from prehistoric cup-markings, suggest that the whole assemblage may be prehistoric in origin (RCAHMS 1980).

Alternative Gaelic names of 'Clach-a-Coille' (L M Mann 1922) or 'Clach na Choire' (R W B Morris 1969) are given.

RCAHMS 1980, visited 1973; L M Mann 1922; R W B Morris 1969; E Beveridge 1903.

This boulder, known locally as the 'Ringing Stone' was located at NM 0268 4869.

Surveyed at 1:10,000.

Visited by OS (R D) 27 June 1972.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions