Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Blackburn House

House (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Blackburn House

Classification House (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Blackburn House Policies

Canmore ID 214037

Site Number NT06NE 56

NGR NT 00090 65596

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/214037

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council West Lothian
  • Parish Livingston
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District West Lothian
  • Former County West Lothian

Recording Your Heritage Online

Blackburn House, 1771

Janus-faced house: ceremonial north front, with later Doric porch, presents pedimented and pavilion-roofed picture of gentility flanked by a screen to pavilions. But first-floor windows do not light generously proportioned rooms (the attic floor runs across their middle). East and west it appears not as a country mansion but as a farmhouse; and those pavilions as barns. East/west passage beneath the house. Fine drawing and dining rooms with plaster ceilings and bay windows with a splendid view south. Restored, 2007, after 30 years of neglect, by Simpson and Brown for the Cockburn Conservation Trust as a centre for the creative industries with Heritage Lottery, European, enterprise company and council support.

Taken from "West Lothian: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Stuart Eydmann, Richard Jaques and Charles McKean, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Archaeology Notes

NT06NW 56.00 0008 6560

NT06NE 56.01 NT 00119 65608 Dovecot

NT06NE 56.02 NT 00057 65603 W pavilion

NT06NE 56.03 NT 00106 65631 E pavilion

Standing building recording NT 0008 6560 Analytical observations were made of this small country house (NT06NE 56), associated outbuildings and steading of c 1760. Evidence was noted for remodelling of the upper parts of the main house, and alteration of the fenestration on the N (entrance) frontage; alterations perhaps at the time of the addition

of the present porch - early 19th century (?by Gillespie Graham).

Within the house interior, evidence for the original form of wooden fireplace surrounds and panelling was recorded. Of particular note was evidence for architraves with pulvinated friezes of retrospective character.

An assessment of the early finishes was made in order to guide reinstatement. In most areas evidence for false ruling-out was seen; however there was no evidence that the structure had been painted. The S frontage may have been treated differently, with evidence suggesting raised, regularly formed ribbon pointing (overlying dressings and rubblework alike) to simulate ashlar work.

Sponsors: Cockburn Conservation Trust, Simpson & Brown Architects.

T Addyman 2005.

Site Management (30 May 1990)

Georgian house in coursed rubble, with ashlar dressings and rusticated quoins. The house rises to 2 storeys with basement and attics to the rear topped by a piended, slated roof. Unusually, the attic floor cuts across the middle of the first floor windows. The north façade is of 5 bays, with the centre 3 advanced and pedimented. The entrance is framed by a Doric distyle portico. To the east and west the house displays a more vernacular style. To the rear are 2 polygonal projecting bays. The interior retains some fine original doors, wood and plasterwork, and the delicate Rococo ornament of the ceilings of the polygonal bays displays flora and fauna. A stone stair with turned wood balusters rises from between the bays in the interior. The house is approached by 2 drives that sweep symmetrically from the main road, where traces of former lodges remain. 2 storey rubble pavilions with hipped slate roofs are connected either side by quadrant walls, though the eastern pavilion is now partly demolished. An east-west passage runs beneath the house.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions