Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Barra, Dun Mhic Leoid

Island Dwelling (Medieval), Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Barra, Dun Mhic Leoid

Classification Island Dwelling (Medieval), Tower House (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Castle Sinclair; An Caisteal; Iain Garbh's Castle; Castle St Clair

Canmore ID 21394

Site Number NL69NW 2

NGR NL 64767 99611

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/21394

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Western Isles
  • Parish Barra
  • Former Region Western Isles Islands Area
  • Former District Western Isles
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Recording Your Heritage Online

An Caisteal or Dun Mhicleoid, possibly mid-15th century Small, unvaulted tower on the site of an earlier dun in Loch Tangasdale, also known as Iain Garbh's Castle or Castle St. Clair. It was described c.1620 as 'a little toure of stone and lyme builded in ane litle Illand in the midst of this Logh'.

Taken from "Western Seaboard: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Mary Miers, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Archaeology Notes

NL69NW 2 64767 99611.

(NL 64759960) Dun Mhic Leoid (NAT) (Ruins of) (NAT).

OS 6"map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1904)

Castle Sinclair, or Dun Mhic Leoid, is a tower, 18 1/2 ft. by 18 ft. over walls 4 1/2 ft. thick, and was originally of three storeys. In 1924 it stood only 15 ft. high. MacGregor (A A MacGregor 1949) describes and illustrates the remains. There is no history or tradition concerning the castle.

RCAHMS 1928; A A MacGregor 1949.

These remains are as described above. The small island on which the remains stand appears to be artificial. There are vague traces of a possible causeway, now submerged, running from the castle to the S. shore of Loch St. Clair. According to Robins (Mr Robins, Schoolmaster, Castlebay, Barra) this is "Dun Mhic Leoid", a 'dower' castle, and not Castle Sinclair - a name given to it by a 19th. c. French romantic.

Visited by OS (W D J), May 1965.

T233: Traces of a substantial roundhouse underlie the late medieval tower.

K Branigan and P Foster 1985.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions