Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Bathgate, George Street, St David's Church And Hall

Church (Period Unassigned), Church Hall (Period Unassigned), War Memorial(S) (20th Century)

Site Name Bathgate, George Street, St David's Church And Hall

Classification Church (Period Unassigned), Church Hall (Period Unassigned), War Memorial(S) (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Church Of Scotland; Engine Street; United Free Church; War Memorial Plaques

Canmore ID 213869

Site Number NS96NE 81

NGR NS 97432 68855

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/213869

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council West Lothian
  • Parish Bathgate
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District West Lothian
  • Former County West Lothian

Recording Your Heritage Online

St David's Church, George Street, 1904, J G Fairley

Outstanding, vertically proportioned church, its attenuated, slender tower rocketing into the sky capped by an ogee dome. Everything is designed to emphasise verticality; slender lancets of the entrance tower and the prettily scaled adjacent hall. Fine, open, timber-roofed interior, gallery the one side, aisle the other. Stained glass celebrating mining and engineering, 1954, W Wilson.

Taken from "West Lothian: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Stuart Eydmann, Richard Jaques and Charles McKean, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Architecture Notes

NMRS NOTES:

J Graham Fairley 1904-5, design won bronze medal in 1920 at the Paris International Exhibition.

Stained glass windows by William Wilson RSA 1945-6.

Organ by David Hamilton.

Activities

Project (February 2014 - July 2014)

A data upgrade project to record war memorials.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions