Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Auchernach House

Country House (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Auchernach House

Classification Country House (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Auchernach House Estate; Auchernach House Policies; Auchernach Castle

Canmore ID 212726

Site Number NJ31NW 3

NGR NJ 33033 15930

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/212726

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeenshire
  • Parish Strathdon
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Gordon
  • Former County Aberdeenshire

Recording Your Heritage Online

Auchernach Bridge and House, 1832; (?)1809. Engaging complex, consisting of the remains of Auchernach House, 'long reputed the best in the district', and a double-arched bridge over the Nochty whose parapets terminate in curves with

piers. On the west face is the inscription: ERECTED/BY/GEN. N. FORBES/1832. House demolished 1945.

Taken from "Aberdeenshire: Donside and Strathbogie - An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Ian Shepherd, 2006. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Archaeology Notes

NJ31NW 3.00 33033 15930

NJ31NW 3.01 3302 1594 Storehouses

NJ31NW 3.02 3275 1594 White Well

NJ31NW 3.03 33021 15982 Walled Garden

NJ31NW 3.04 33132 15920 Auchernach Cottages (Firs Cottage)

NJ31NW 3.05 33405 15869 Northern and Southern Lodges

NJ31NW 3.06 33125 16105 Dovecot

There are the vaulted remains of an old castle, behind Auchernach House, built 1809 and demolished about 1945.

SDD (1965) 1960-.

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE:

Letter to Ian Gow from Miss EA Forbes, 5A Albany Street, Edinburgh dated 9/5/86 in NMRS file ( & photograph of garden walls). Asked her father to delve into family archives, "I think we established that it would have had to have been built between 1760 and 1790 and the sale catalogue (in NMRS) was when it finally passed out of the Forbes family."

EXTERNAL REFERENCE:

Scottish Records Office

Proposed building of a schoolhouse at Auchernach. Letter from Nathaniel Forbes to [-]. It apparently accompanied sketches. In it he sought, for the purpose of beginning the work, to speed up a small exchange of ground with the Earl of Fife. This had already been surveyed by Mr. Stevens - pupil of Mr.Thomson of Fairley.

1825 GD1/404/27

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions