Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Bo'ness, Distillery

Distillery (18th Century)

Site Name Bo'ness, Distillery

Classification Distillery (18th Century)

Alternative Name(s) The Bo'ness Distillery

Canmore ID 211844

Site Number NS98SE 161

NGR NS 99082 81335

NGR Description Centred NS 9908 8134

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2022.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images


Administrative Areas

  • Council Falkirk
  • Parish Bo'ness And Carriden
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Falkirk
  • Former County West Lothian

Archaeology Notes

NS98SE 161 centred 9908 8134

A Whisky Distillery is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Linlithgowshire, 1856 sheet 1) situated at the W end of the Pan Braes.

Originally owned by Tod, Padon and Vannan, later by A & R Vannan, it was purchased in 1874 by James Calder & Co. Ltd. At its peak the distillery had an output of 25,000 gallons of spirit per week and the duty in 1912 was about #1,000,000. (T J Salmon 1913)

The site formerly occupied by the distillery is now an area of waste ground with two or three small buildings.

It is possible that this distillery and one named 'Wallace Paw' Distillery' whose location is unknown, are one and the same. The 'Wallace Paw' was owned by Fargie and Steel & Co. in 1795 and Millar Baird & Co. from 1798-9 when the business was sequestrated. (M S Moss and J R Hume 1981). Salmon in his appendix on Bo'ness (Salmon 1913) notes that there was only one distillery within the town.

Information from RCAHMS (DE), March 2002



This site falls within the Corbiehall and Snab Area of Townscape Character (NS98SE 207), which was defined as part of the RCAHMS Urban Survey Programme 2013. Text relating to the historical development and topography, and present character of the Corbiehall and Snab Area of Townscape Character can be viewed at site NS98SE 207.

Information from RCAHMS (LK), January 2014


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions