Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Netherton Of Logie

Recumbent Stone Circle (Neol/bronze Age)

Site Name Netherton Of Logie

Classification Recumbent Stone Circle (Neol/bronze Age)

Alternative Name(s) Standing Stones Of Netherton

Canmore ID 21100

Site Number NK05NW 3

NGR NK 0434 5722

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/21100

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeenshire
  • Parish Crimond
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Banff And Buchan
  • Former County Aberdeenshire

Archaeology Notes

NK05NW 3 0434 5722.

(NK 0434 5722) Standing Stones of Netherton (NR)

OS 6" map, (1959)

A recumbent stone circle, 57ft in diameter, comprising a recumbent stone, two flanking pillars, and seven upright slabs (A-G on plan) of which B is misplaced, and F ang G are set too close together to be original. There is no trace of a surrounding bank or central feature (Coles 1904). The ONB (1870) mentions fifteen upright stones at irregular intervals, with four stones forming a double row immediately to the E of the recumbent stone and flankers. Calcined bones

have been found within (TBFC 1890).

Name Book 1870; Trans Buchan Fld Club 1890; F R Coles 1904.

Photo (PSAS 1904).

Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1904

A recumbent stone circle surrounded by a modern wall. The only stones remaining in situ are the recumbent stone, flankers and four other uprights. Six stones to the NE of the E flanker, some of them upright, have apparently been erected recently although two of them may be part of an original kerb. The same applies to the four stones at the base of the W. flanker. One other stone, on the N. of the circle, though fallen, may be in situ.

Resurveyed at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (RL) 13 January 1969.

Activities

Field Visit (19 August 2003)

Partly restored, this recumbent stone circle stands to the NNW of Netherton farm, in a roundel of deciduous trees on gently sloping ground dropping away to the NE. The circle measures about 17m in overall diameter and, including the recumbent setting on the S, eight stones remain, though one on the N is fallen (6). The recumbent (2), which measures about 2.9m in length by 1.1m in height, has a gently convex summit and its W end appears to rest upon a firm bed of stones. The flankers stand about 1.65m high, but they present contrasting shapes, the western (1) being a thick block, and the eastern (3) a broader and thinner slab; both are aligned with the leading edge of the recumbent, but set at a slight angle to pick up the arc of the circle. In its original form the remainder of the ring probably comprised seven stones and was evidently graded to reduce in height from S to N, the tallest of the five surviving stones being on the WSW (8) and the shortest on the NE (5). Allowing for missing stones on the SE and WNW, the spacing of the stones also appears to reduce towards the N. However, the orthostat on the WSW (8) stands well within the projected arc of the circle and may well have been re-erected. Other hints at a certain amount of restoration work here are provided by the roughly parallel lines of stones leading away from the flankers, though some of those on the E were present by 1870 (below). Most are low boulders typical of kerbstones, but the four forming the inner line on the E (A–D) are spaced slabs set on end, which neither conform to nor project the arc of the circle; those on the W are aligned on the position of the probably re-erected WSW orthostat (8). Restoration would explain the inauthentic quality of these lines of boulders and slabs, which may be no more than a poorly executed attempt to mimic the kerbstones associated with the ring-banks typical of other Buchan rings. In this case there is certainly no evidence of a ring-bank associated with these stones, nor of any cairn material within the level interior of the roundel, though this stands some 0.6m above the surrounding fields.

Visited by RCAHMS (JRS and KHJM) 19 August 2003

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions