Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 672695

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/672695

NK05NW 3 0434 5722.

(NK 0434 5722) Standing Stones of Netherton (NR)

OS 6" map, (1959)

A recumbent stone circle, 57ft in diameter, comprising a recumbent stone, two flanking pillars, and seven upright slabs (A-G on plan) of which B is misplaced, and F ang G are set too close together to be original. There is no trace of a surrounding bank or central feature (Coles 1904). The ONB (1870) mentions fifteen upright stones at irregular intervals, with four stones forming a double row immediately to the E of the recumbent stone and flankers. Calcined bones

have been found within (TBFC 1890).

Name Book 1870; Trans Buchan Fld Club 1890; F R Coles 1904.

Photo (PSAS 1904).

Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1904

A recumbent stone circle surrounded by a modern wall. The only stones remaining in situ are the recumbent stone, flankers and four other uprights. Six stones to the NE of the E flanker, some of them upright, have apparently been erected recently although two of them may be part of an original kerb. The same applies to the four stones at the base of the W. flanker. One other stone, on the N. of the circle, though fallen, may be in situ.

Resurveyed at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (RL) 13 January 1969.

People and Organisations

References