Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Boyndlie House

Country House (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Boyndlie House

Classification Country House (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Middle Boyndlie; Middlemost Bulgne; Boundlie House; House Of Boyndlie

Canmore ID 20825

Site Number NJ96SW 16

NGR NJ 91668 62056

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/20825

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeenshire
  • Parish Tyrie
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Banff And Buchan
  • Former County Aberdeenshire

Archaeology Notes

NJ96SW 16.00 91668 62056

NJ96SW 16.01 NJ 91554 62069 Offices

NJ96SW 16.02 NJ 91893 61782 South Lodge

For Mains of Boyndlie steading (NJ 9131 6228), see NJ96SW 51.

(NJ 9165 6205) Boyndlie House is stated by Macfarlane (1723) to have been built in 1660 by Alexander, 2nd Lord Forbes of Pitsligo. (J B Paul ed. 1907) Considerable additions were made by his son, Alexander (d. 1690). (J B Paul ed. 1907)

The New Statistical Account (NSA), however, says that the builder and first possessor was killed at the Battle of Craibstone in 1575 (actually 1571). This may be an error for John of Boyndlie (the only one of the Forbes given that title by Paul) who was slain at the Battle of Pinkie in 1547.

The house was described as being situated '... in the centre of a rock, in the middle of a glen, which affords terraces on either side ... The east side or back of the house is a storey higher by the cellar's being cut out of the rock, and below are three handsome terraces, and ane opposite bank, where as many are designed.'

NSA 1845; The Scots Peerage 1907; W Macfarlane 1908.

Boundlie House, with the date '1814' above one of the first-floor windows, is a typical Georgian mansion. However, the siting evidence provided above suggests that the present house is probably on the site of the earlier structure.

Visited by OS (NKB) 8 March 1967.

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE:

Owner:- Sir George Ogilvy Forbes K.C.M.G. D.L.

(Source: Aberdeenshire 3rd Statisical Account. Published 1960)

Architect:- Archibald Simpson 1846 - proposed addition.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions