Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Anwoth, Rutherford's Monument

Commemorative Monument (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Anwoth, Rutherford's Monument

Classification Commemorative Monument (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Boreland Hills; Boreland Hill; Gatehouse Of Fleet

Canmore ID 206064

Site Number NX55NE 107

NGR NX 58755 55822

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/206064

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Anwoth
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Stewartry
  • Former County Kirkcudbrightshire

Archaeology Notes

NX55NE 107 58755 55822

Monument [NAT]

OS 1:10,000 map, 1993.

Rutherford's Monument [NAT]

OS (GIS) MasterMap, July 2009.

Activities

Field Visit (10 April 2012)

Rutherford's Monument is a 19th century obelisk situated on the summit of one of the craggy knolls west of Gatehouse of Fleet that make up the Boreland Hills. It comprises a granite obelisk set on top of a high plinth (2.1m square) that includes a stepped base (3.6m square) and a moulded cornice, the whole monument standing 17m high. A plaque set into the south side of the plinth bears the legend 'To the memory of the Rev Samual Rutherford Minister of the parish of Anwoth from 1627 to 1639 when he was appointed Professor of Divinity in the University of St Andrews where he died 1661. This monument was erected AD 1842 in admiration of his eminent talents, extensive learning, ardent piety, ministerial faithfulness and distinguished public labours in the cause of civil and religious liberty'. The righteous shall be in everlasting remembrance PsCXII-6' At the bottom right corner of the plaque is the signature 'J+J Stewart SCULPS.'

A small plaque on its north side notes that the monument was 'struck by lightening AD MDCCCXLVII Rebuilt AD MDCCCLI'. At the bottom right of the plaque is the signature 'HUME SC'.

Visited by RCAHMS (JRS) 10 April 2012.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions