Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Field Visit

Date 10 April 2012

Event ID 920929

Category Recording

Type Field Visit

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/920929

Rutherford's Monument is a 19th century obelisk situated on the summit of one of the craggy knolls west of Gatehouse of Fleet that make up the Boreland Hills. It comprises a granite obelisk set on top of a high plinth (2.1m square) that includes a stepped base (3.6m square) and a moulded cornice, the whole monument standing 17m high. A plaque set into the south side of the plinth bears the legend 'To the memory of the Rev Samual Rutherford Minister of the parish of Anwoth from 1627 to 1639 when he was appointed Professor of Divinity in the University of St Andrews where he died 1661. This monument was erected AD 1842 in admiration of his eminent talents, extensive learning, ardent piety, ministerial faithfulness and distinguished public labours in the cause of civil and religious liberty'. The righteous shall be in everlasting remembrance PsCXII-6' At the bottom right corner of the plaque is the signature 'J+J Stewart SCULPS.'

A small plaque on its north side notes that the monument was 'struck by lightening AD MDCCCXLVII Rebuilt AD MDCCCLI'. At the bottom right of the plaque is the signature 'HUME SC'.

Visited by RCAHMS (JRS) 10 April 2012.

People and Organisations

References