Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Burness Bridge

Burnt Mound(S) (Prehistoric)

Site Name Burness Bridge

Classification Burnt Mound(S) (Prehistoric)

Canmore ID 1993

Site Number HY31NE 4

NGR HY 3886 1636

NGR Description HY 3886 1636 and HY 3885 1636

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/1993

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Orkney Islands
  • Parish Firth
  • Former Region Orkney Islands Area
  • Former District Orkney
  • Former County Orkney

Archaeology Notes

HY31NE 4 3886 1636 and 3885 1636.

(HY 3885 1636) There are five mounds of burnt stones near the small bridge at Burness.

RCAHMS 1946.

Only two burnt mounds were found near the bridge.

A - HY 3886 1636 - is a crescentic turf-covered mound of black earth and burnt stones measuring c.12.0m E -W by c.4.0m transversely, with a maximum height of c.1.3m.

B - HY 3885 1636 - is a circular turf-covered mound of dark earth and a few burnt stones, measuring c.8.0m E-W by c.7.0m transversely, with a maximum height of c.1.3m.

The large mound immediately to the west of these is natural, and several amorphous mounds and banks of earth and stone, on the west side of the bridge, the upcast from comparatively recent trenching, may have been mistaken for the other burnt mounds recorded by the RCAHMS.

A and B surveyed at 1/2500.

Visited by OS(RL) 29 May 1966

Activities

Field Visit (29 May 1966)

Only two burnt mounds were found near the bridge.

A - HY 3886 1636 - is a crescentic turf-covered mound of black earth and burnt stones measuring c.12.0m E -W by c.4.0m transversely, with a maximum height of c.1.3m.

B - HY 3885 1636 - is a circular turf-covered mound of dark earth and a few burnt stones, measuring c.8.0m E-W by c.7.0m transversely, with a maximum height of c.1.3m.

The large mound immediately to the west of these is natural, and several amorphous mounds and banks of earth and stone, on the west side of the bridge, the upcast from comparatively recent trenching, may have been mistaken for the other burnt mounds recorded by the RCAHMS.

A and B surveyed at 1/2500.

Visited by OS(RL) 29 May 1966

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions