Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Kilkerran Station

Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Site Name Kilkerran Station

Classification Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Canmore ID 198398

Site Number NS20SE 49

NGR NS 29699 04353

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/198398

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council South Ayrshire
  • Parish Kirkoswald
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Kyle And Carrick
  • Former County Ayrshire

Archaeology Notes

NS20SE 49.00 29699 04353

NS20SE 49.01 NS 29708 04344 Station House

NS20SE 49.02 NS 29636 04351 Station Cottage

NS20SE 49.03 NS 29634 04334 Railway Cottage

NS20SE 49.04 NS 29711 04376 Signal Box

NS20SE 49.05 NS 29712 04363 Level Crossing

NS20SE 49.06 NS 29685 04321 Goods Shed [Unverified location]

(Location cited as NS 297 043) Kilkerran Station, opened 1860 by the Maybole & Girvan Railway. Formerly a 2-platform through station, with the main offices on the down platform. These were in a 1- and 2-storey rubble building, on an L plan, incorporating a dwellinghouse, with crow-stepped gables.

The rubble goods shed also survives, as does the signal-box of typical Glasgow and South Western wooden pattern.

J R Hume 1976.

This intermediate station on the Glasgow - Ayr - Girvan - Stranraer (main) line of the former Glasgow and South Western Rly was opened (by the Maybole and Girvan Rly) on 24 May 1860. It closed to regular passenger traffic on 6 September 1965, the line remaining open.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 17 July 2009.

R V J Butt 1995.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions