Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Dyce, Saint Fergus' Church, Dyce No 1

Cross Incised Stone (Early Medieval)

Site Name Dyce, Saint Fergus' Church, Dyce No 1

Classification Cross Incised Stone (Early Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Chapel Of St Fergus; Old Parish Church Of Dyce; Dyce, Old Church

Canmore ID 19467

Site Number NJ81NE 8.03

NGR NJ 8752 1541

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/19467

Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Bluesky International Limited 2025. Public Sector Viewing Terms

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

The collection of early medieval sculptured stone from Dyce churchyard. 300 dpi copy of EPS file.
The collection of early medieval sculptured stone from Dyce churchyard. 300 dpi copy of EPS file.Dyce, Saint Fergus' Church, Dyce No 1, NJ81NE 8.3, Ordnance Survey index card, RectoDyce, Saint Fergus' Church, cross-incised stones. Small incised cross.Dyce, St Fergus' Church, sculptured stones. View of stone 'Dyce no. 2'.Scanned ink drawing of Dyce 5 incised crossDyce, Saint Fergus' Church: scanned ink drawing of cross incised stone no.4View of cross-incised stones.
Original negative captioned: 'Ancient Stone Crosses at Old Church of Dyce May 1903'.Dyce, St Fergus' Church, sculptured stones. View of stone 'Dyce no. 4'.Two small slabs, bearing incised crosses.  
Scanned ink drawing of Dyce 6 incised crossPhotographic copy of four rubbings. The upper two rubbings show detail of two cross incised stones, Dyce no.3 [left] and Dyce no.2 [right] from Dyce, Aberdeen. The lower two rubbings are yet to be identified.Dyce, St Fergus' Church, sculptured stones. View of stone 'Dyce no. 1'.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeen, City Of
  • Parish Dyce
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District City Of Aberdeen
  • Former County Aberdeenshire

Activities

Reference (1911)

NJ81NE 8.03 8752 1541

Four stone crosses of different (unusual) forms have been discovered at various times during grave-digging in the churchyard. They lay 'for a considerable time' with the sculpture stone (NJ81NE 8.01) in the E gable, but have now been set into the walls.

('Dyce no. 1'). This mutilated stone measures 1'3" (380mm) in height, 10" (254mm) in breadth and 4" (102mm) in thickness, and bears a now-incomplete cross rudely formed of two incised lines which intersect at the centre. This intersection is enclosed by an incised square of side 5" (127mm) with sides drawn parallel to the lines that form the cross. A circular hollow of diameter 1" (25mm) and not unlike a shallow cupmark is set into the centre of each of the four small squares thus formed.

J Ritchie 1911

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions