Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Scheduled Website Maintenance 14/07/20 00:00 – 04:00GMT – There will be periods of time during this window when this website will be unavailable.

Dyce, Saint Fergus' Church, Dyce No 1

Cross Incised Stone (Early Medieval)

Site Name Dyce, Saint Fergus' Church, Dyce No 1

Classification Cross Incised Stone (Early Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Chapel Of St Fergus; Old Parish Church Of Dyce; Dyce, Old Church

Canmore ID 19467

Site Number NJ81NE 8.03

NGR NJ 8752 1541

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeen, City Of
  • Parish Dyce
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District City Of Aberdeen
  • Former County Aberdeenshire


Reference (1911)

NJ81NE 8.03 8752 1541

Four stone crosses of different (unusual) forms have been discovered at various times during grave-digging in the churchyard. They lay 'for a considerable time' with the sculpture stone (NJ81NE 8.01) in the E gable, but have now been set into the walls.

('Dyce no. 1'). This mutilated stone measures 1'3" (380mm) in height, 10" (254mm) in breadth and 4" (102mm) in thickness, and bears a now-incomplete cross rudely formed of two incised lines which intersect at the centre. This intersection is enclosed by an incised square of side 5" (127mm) with sides drawn parallel to the lines that form the cross. A circular hollow of diameter 1" (25mm) and not unlike a shallow cupmark is set into the centre of each of the four small squares thus formed.

J Ritchie 1911


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions