Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Turriff Manse, Pictish Symbol Stone

Pictish Symbol Stone (Pictish)

Site Name Turriff Manse, Pictish Symbol Stone

Classification Pictish Symbol Stone (Pictish)

Canmore ID 19157

Site Number NJ74NW 20

NGR NJ 7230 4991

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/19157

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeenshire
  • Parish Turriff
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Banff And Buchan
  • Former County Aberdeenshire

EARLY MEDIEVAL CARVED STONES PROJECT

Turriff Manse, Aberdeenshire, Pictish symbol stone fragment

Measurements: H 0.47m, W 0.24m

Stone type: sandstone

Place of discovery: NJ 7230 4991

Present location: built into a low wall just east of St Ninian’s Church at NJ 7234 5008.

Evidence for discovery: since it was first recognised in the 1870s in the garden wall of St Ninian’s manse in Turiff, this slab has been moved at least twice, once within the manse grounds in the twentieth century and in the early twenty-first century to St Ninian’s Church, to the north-east of the manse. It may have come originally from St Congan’s kirkyard to the south-west of the manse.

Present condition: severely trimmed and there is damage to the carved face.

Description

This fragment is a small part of an incised symbol stone. All that survives of its carving is part of the left-hand side of a crescent and V-rod.

Date: seventh century.

References: ECMS pt 3, 187; Fraser 2008, no 48.

Desk-based information compiled by A Ritchie 2017

Archaeology Notes

NJ74NW 20 7230 4991

An incised stone of yellowish colour is built into the east wall of the manse gardens.

A Jervise 1875-9.

(NJ 7229 4962). There is a symbol stone built into the outside of the wall at the manse garden of Turiff. It is a slab of sandstone 1' 8" long by 10" wide and is incised on one face only, with part of the crescent and v-shaped rod symbol.

J R Allen and J Anderson 1903; J Ritchie 1915.

Activities

Field Visit (12 December 1962)

NJ 7230 4991. This stone is now located on the inside of the garden wall on the north side of the Manse. It is now much weathered. No further information was found.

Surveyed at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (WDJ), 12 December 1962.

Reference (1997)

Class I symbol stone showing a crescent and V-rod.

A Mack 1997.

Field Visit

Following the sale of the Manse, this stone was moved and is now built into the low retaining wall on the edge of the driveway to the east of St Ninian's Church (NJ 7235 5009 by hand-held GPS).

(Undated) information from J Borland (RCAHMS).

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions