Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Mount Carmel

Motte (Medieval)

Site Name Mount Carmel

Classification Motte (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Colleonard; Collus Leonardi; Duff House Policies

Canmore ID 18469

Site Number NJ66SE 36

NGR NJ 6786 6260

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/18469

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeenshire
  • Parish Banff
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Banff And Buchan
  • Former County Banffshire

Archaeology Notes

NJ66SE 36 6786 6260

(NJ 6786 6260) Mount Carmel (NR)

OS 6" map, (1938)

Mount Carmel is a conical artificial mound, beside River Deveron, and near Bachlow Bridge. It is surmounted by a summer house and is said to have been made by monks. The Statistical Account (OSA, 1791-9) states that a chapel, connected with the monastery (NJ66SE 35) stood on this mount, but such

a circumstance is unknown to anyone in the locality.

Name Book 1867.

What is probably a barrow stands near the Mausoleum at Duff House.

J Sutherland 1883.

Presumably referring to Mount Carmel, the author states, 'It was formerly called Colenard (Collus Leonardi) from a superior of the convent.'

C Cordiner 1780.

This is a massive conical mound surmounted by the ruins of a stone-building. The mound is c.10.0m high and entirely overgrown with trees and thick undergrowth, making detailed investigation impossible. The mound appears to be artificial and consists mainly of earth. Its exact purpose could not be ascertained.

Visited by OS (WDJ) 5 October 1961.

Probably a motte, as described above. At the base, on the N, there are indistinct traces of a ditch, separating the motte from a level area extending c.70m northwards by about 50m E-W. It is bounded by natural slopes, which in themselves would not form a good defence, and there is no evidence of artificial scarping; yet this may be a bailey. It is obscured by vegetation, and the cutting of a track through it.

Visited by OS (NKB) 1 February 1968.

Activities

Field Visit (5 October 1961)

This is a massive conical mound surmounted by the ruins of a stone-building. The mound is c.10.0m high and entirely overgrown with trees and thick undergrowth, making detailed investigation impossible. The mound appears to be artificial and consists mainly of earth. Its exact purpose could not be ascertained.

Visited by OS (WDJ) 5 October 1961.

Field Visit (1 February 1968)

Probably a motte, as described above. At the base, on the N, there are indistinct traces of a ditch, separating the motte from a level area extending c.70m northwards by about 50m E-W. It is bounded by natural slopes, which in themselves would not form a good defence, and there is no evidence of artificial scarping; yet this may be a bailey. It is obscured by vegetation, and the cutting of a track through it.

Visited by OS (NKB) 1 February 1968.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions