Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Tocherford

Pictish Symbol Stone (Pictish), Stone Circle (Neol/bronze Age)

Site Name Tocherford

Classification Pictish Symbol Stone (Pictish), Stone Circle (Neol/bronze Age)

Alternative Name(s) Rothiebrisbane

Canmore ID 18267

Site Number NJ63SE 5

NGR NJ 6981 3305

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/18267

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeenshire
  • Parish Rayne
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Gordon
  • Former County Aberdeenshire

EARLY MEDIEVAL CARVED STONES PROJECT

Rothiebrisbane, Tocherford, Aberdeenshire, Pictish symbol stone

Measurements: H over 0.71m, W 0.53m, D 0.3m

Stone type: whinstone

Place of discovery: NJ 6981 3305

Present location: built into the east gable of Fyvie church.

Evidence for discovery: found re-used as a covering slab over a drain across the road from Rayne to Auchterless, about 5km west of Rothiebrisbane, and taken to the garden of Rothiebrisbane House. The OS Name Book (1867) records that it once stood in the centre of the stone circle at Tocherford.

Present condition: good.

Description

The slab is incised with an arch above an irregular circle containing three small circles.

Date: seventh century.

References: ECMS pt 3, 184-5; Fraser 2008, no 44.

Desk-based information compiled by A Ritchie 2017.

Archaeology Notes

NJ63SE 5 6981 3305.

(NJ 6981 3305) Stone Circle (NR) (site of)

OS 6" map, (1959)

The last five stones of this circle were removed c. 1820-30, and nothing now remains. According to the Ordnance Survey Name Book (ONB, 1867), a Class 1 symbol stone, which was removed to Rothiebrisbane (NJ 74 37) (see NJ73NE 1) once stood in the centre of the circle: Allen (1903) states that it had been used to cover a drain across the country road from Rayne to Auchterless prior to its removal to Rothiebrisbane.

Name Book 1867; J R Allen and J Anderson 1903.

Activities

Field Visit (27 March 1969)

No trace, no further information.

Visited by OS (NKB) 27 March 1969.

Field Visit (21 February 1996)

Nothing is visible of this stone circle, which stood in what is now a cultivated field 190m E of Tocherford farmsteading (NJ63SE 60). The Pictish stone is still at St Peter's Church Fyvie (NJ73NE 1.04).

Visited by RCAHMS (JRS, IF), 21 February 1996.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions