Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Stirling, 33 Spittal Street

Bank (Financial) (19th Century), Hospital (First World War), Infirmary (19th Century), Library (20th Century)

Site Name Stirling, 33 Spittal Street

Classification Bank (Financial) (19th Century), Hospital (First World War), Infirmary (19th Century), Library (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Commercial Bank; Stirling Infirmary; District Library; Forth Valley Health Board; Colessio Hotel

Canmore ID 181208

Site Number NS79SE 236

NGR NS 79442 93508

NGR Description Centred on NS 79442 93508

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/181208

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images


First 100 images shown. See the Collections panel (below) for a link to all digital images.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Stirling
  • Parish Stirling
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Stirling
  • Former County Stirlingshire

Architecture Notes

NS79SE 236 79442, 93508

33 Spittal Street, originally built 1825-27 as the Commercial Bank, designed by James Gillespie Graham. Classical 5-bay street elevation dominated by Doric columned portico. Converted to use as the first Stirling Infirmary by Peddie & Kinnear 1873-74, and subsequently enlarged in 1878, 1883 and 1913. Superceded by a new Infirmary in 1928, and later used as a district library and offices for the Forth Valley Health Board.

Visited by RCAHMS in June 2009 prior to conversion to a hotel. Interiors are much altered from both the original layout and the early 20th century incarnation of the building.

NMRS REFERENCE:

Plans; Dick Peddie & MacKay, Edinburgh alterations

Bin 7, Bag 2 Peddie and Kinnear 1873

NMRS MISCELLANEOUS:

Bedford Lemere Register, London No.829940 - negatives

Activities

Photographic Survey (3 June 2009)

This site was recorded by RCAHMS Threatened Buildings Survey prior to work commencing on the building's conversion to a hotel.

Excavation (2 October 2009 - 14 January 2014)

NS 7943 9349 A monitoring programme was intermittently carried out, 2 October 2009 – 14 January 2014, during ground-breaking works associated with the conversion of a 19th-century building into a hotel. The work included watching briefs during the excavation of test pits and service trenches and a small open-area excavation. The fieldwork uncovered boundaries, a well and large pits associated with activity within the medieval burgage plots stretching back from Spittal Street. The features produced large amounts of pot dating from the 12th to 16th century. No medieval buildings were recorded. Remains of post-medieval buildings and boundaries in the form of mortared stone walls were recorded at several locations. Some of these can be identified as a building and walls featured on the 1st Edition OS map from the mid-19th century.

Archive: NRHE

Funder: Colessio Hotel Ltd

Magnar Dalland and Edward Bailey – Headland Archaeology Ltd

(Source: DES, Volume 17)

Project (March 2013 - September 2013)

A project to characterise the quantity and quality of the Scottish resource of known surviving remains of the First World War. Carried out in partnership between Historic Scotland and RCAHMS.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions