Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Our online mapping services, aerial photography and satellite imaging layers are undergoing scheduled maintenance on Sundays in June. Service might be intermittent or unavailable on 6, 20 and 27 June. Thank you for your patience.

 

Tower Of Deskford

Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Tower Of Deskford

Classification Tower House (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Deskford Castle; Kirkton Of Deskford

Canmore ID 17988

Site Number NJ56SW 2

NGR NJ 50891 61669

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/17988

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Moray
  • Parish Deskford
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Moray
  • Former County Banffshire

Archaeology Notes

NJ56SW 2 50891 61669

For (adjacent) Deskford, Old Parish Church, see NJ56SW 1.

(NJ 5088 6166) Tower of Deskford (NR) (Remains of)

OS 6" map, Banffshire, 2nd ed., (1905)

The tower of Deskford appears to have been a pretty spacious building, in the form of a court, but now there remains only one room's length, vaulted below, with three storeys and a garret. It bears no date.

Statistical Account (OSA) 1791-9.

All that remains of the Tower of Deskford, are two fragments of walling of coursed rubble, 1.4m thick and 2.3m high, now overgrown with ivy, in which can be seen a doorway, and traces of the barrel-vaulting of a basement, and a newel stair at the SW corner. These fragments may represent an angle turret of a more substantial structure, possibly the courtyard mentioned by Chalmers (OSA 1791-9), which has been completely removed.

Re-surveyed at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (WDJ) 18 September 1961.

Scheduled with (adjacent) Deskford, Old Parish Church (NJ56SW 1).

Information from Historic Scotland, scheduling document dated 20 February 1997.

Activities

Reference (1791 - 1799)

The tower of Deskford appears to have been a pretty spacious building, in the form of a court, but now there remains only one room's length, vaulted below, with three storeys and a garret. It bears no date.

Statistical Account (OSA) 1791-9.

Field Visit (18 September 1961)

All that remains of the Tower of Deskford, are two fragments of walling of coursed rubble, 1.4m thick and 2.3m high, now overgrown with ivy, in which can be seen a doorway, and traces of the barrel-vaulting of a basement, and a newel stair at the SW corner. These fragments may represent an angle turret of a more substantial structure, possibly the courtyard mentioned by Chalmers (OSA 1791-9), which has been completely removed.

Re-surveyed at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (WDJ) 18 September 1961.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions