Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Scheduled Website Maintenance 14/07/20 00:00 – 04:00GMT – There will be periods of time during this window when this website will be unavailable.

Portsoy Harbour Station

Railway Station (19th Century)

Site Name Portsoy Harbour Station

Classification Railway Station (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Portsoy Station; Portsoy, Old Station

Canmore ID 17929

Site Number NJ56NE 10

NGR NJ 5899 6584

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/17929

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeenshire
  • Parish Fordyce
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Banff And Buchan
  • Former County Banffshire

Archaeology Notes

NJ56NE 10.00 5899 6584

NJ56NE 10.01 NJ 5896 6586 goods shed

Not to be confused with (successor) Portsoy Station (NJ 5891 6568), for which see NJ56NE 11.

For Portsoy Harbour (NJ 5890 6634), see NJ56NE 13.

(Location cited as NJ 590 658). Opened 1859 by the Banff, Portsoy and Stratisla Rly. A remarkable building with a wooden overall roof; the offices are in a small 1-storey block attached to the train shed. Converted to a coal depot and now a garage; the old wooden goods shed also survives.

J R Hume 1977.

This station was opened on 30 July 1859 by the Banff, Portsoy and Strathisla Rly. (as the terminus of the branch line from Tillynaught) and was closed (by the Great North of Scotland Rly) on 1 April 1884 on the extension of the line towards Elgin, being replaced by Portsoy Station (NJ56NE 11).

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 12 October 2000.

J Thomas and D Turnock 1989; R V J Butt 1995.

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE:

Portsoy Harbour Station (GNoSR) - alledged, indentification uncertain.

See also Portsoy Station.

Probably opened 30.7.1859; Date of closure not recorded but about 1885. Track lifted 1910 down to harbour.

It is possible that the caption is incorrect and that this building is one shown on OS 2nd edition 6" map, Banffshire sheet iiiSE (1904) at NJ 589 658, the railway line on the right being the truncated harbour spur. Probably opened by Banff, Portsoy and Strathisla Railway.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions