Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Hamilton, Almada Street, Lanark County Buildings

County Building (20th Century), Office(S) (20th Century)

Site Name Hamilton, Almada Street, Lanark County Buildings

Classification County Building (20th Century), Office(S) (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Beckford Street; Clydesdale Street; Douglas Street

Canmore ID 173419

Site Number NS75NW 97

NGR NS 71471 55882

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/173419

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council South Lanarkshire
  • Parish Hamilton (South Lanarkshire)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Hamilton
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Architecture Notes

NS75NW 97 71471 55882

ARCHITECT: D G Bannerman 1963

Occupies a 3.7 acre site bounded by Almada Street to south, Beckford Street to east, Clydesdale Street to north, and Douglas Street to west. Intended to house all the County Council's departments. Building begun August 1960. Consists of a 17-storey functionalist tower block of 200 feet linked to a three-storey traditional office block (1938) to NW, and to a circular Council Chamber in forecourt to SW. Main block provides 93,000 sq ft of office space; vertical circulation by means of six high-speed lifts. Features ceramic mosaic-clad gable walls. Council Chamber seats 120, plus 50 press and public; finished with precast concrete glazed screen on base of Broughton Moor slate. Estimated total cost: 1,300,000.

Architectural Prospect 1960; M Glendinning 1997

Activities

Publication Account (1997)

A 17-storey, 200 ft. high adminstrative slab block, juxtaposed with a circular council chamber and other low buildings. An exemplary realisation of a particularly Modern building tpe, the monumental, curtain-walled administrative/governmental tower (as pioneered at the UN Headquarters in New York, and a Brasilia), and a noble civic 'acropolis' for urban Lanarkshire. Lavish materials and finish worthy of a great public building, including curtain walling and ceramic mosaic-clad gable walls. Listed (at Category A) by Historic Scotland, in November 1993. (Fig. 4.64).

Information from 'Rebuilding Scotland: The Postwar Vision, 1945-75', (1997).

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions