Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glasgow, Pollokshaws, Railway Viaduct

Railway Viaduct (19-20th Century)

Site Name Glasgow, Pollokshaws, Railway Viaduct

Classification Railway Viaduct (19-20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) White Cart Water; Pollokshaws Viaduct; Pollock Avenue; Pollokshaws Road; Pollok Park

Canmore ID 172874

Site Number NS56SE 1182

NGR NS 55981 61454

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/172874

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish Eastwood (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Recording Your Heritage Online

Railway Viaduct, Pollokshaws Road, 1847, Neil Robson

Viaduct of three skewed and two straight ashlar arches, rock-faced voussoirs, carrying railway over River Cart north of station. Northmost arch over driveway leads to Pollok House.

Taken from "Greater Glasgow: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Sam Small, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Archaeology Notes

NS56SE 1182 55981 61454

Formerly also entered as NS56SE 1563 at cited location NS 5598 6145.

For corresponding road bridge (adjacent to SE), see NS56SE 149.

Pollokshaws Viaduct, completed by 5 October 1847 for the Glasgow, Barrhead and Neilston Direct Rly. Neil Robson, engineer. A four span masonry viaduct, with segmental arches, two spanning the White Cart, one a relief arch and one over a minor road.

J R Hume 1974.

This viaduct skirts the E side of Pollok Park. It was completed in 1847 by engineer Neil Robson.

E Williamson, A Riches and M Higgs 1990.

This viaduct carries the Glasgow - Kilmarnock (main) line of the former Glasgow and South Western Rly over the White Cart Water immediately NE of Pollokshaws West Station (NS56SE 81). It remains in regular use by passenger traffic, and carries overhead electric power supply lines.

The structure is depicted, but not noted, on the 1989 edition of the OS 1:10,000 map.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 10 February 2006.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions