Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glasgow, 131 Minerva Street, Brass Foundry

Foundry (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Glasgow, 131 Minerva Street, Brass Foundry

Classification Foundry (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) J & W Young

Canmore ID 172592

Site Number NS56NE 2351

NGR NS 5721 6554

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/172592

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish Glasgow (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Activities

Desk Based Assessment (1 July 2008 - 4 July 2008)

An archaeological baseline study for a scoping exercise was conducted as part of a planning application for a proposed developement of the area. Prior to 1850 the site comprised part of the Stobcross estate and was primarily farmland. With the building of St Vincent Crescent, by the Glasgow architect Alexander Kirkland, just to the north of the site the area was developed for a boating lake and formal gardens. By the 1930's the artificial lake had been filled in and the site utilised for tennis courts, bowling greens and light industrial units. An geotechnical survey conducted in during 2006 indicated that made ground deposits, up to 3m in depth, existed across the proposed developement area.

Information from Oasis (headland1-51498) 20 November 2012

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions