Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Milton Of Whitehouse

Souterrain (Prehistoric)

Site Name Milton Of Whitehouse

Classification Souterrain (Prehistoric)

Canmore ID 17074

Site Number NJ40SW 5

NGR NJ 4172 0425

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/17074

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeenshire
  • Parish Glenmuick, Tullich And Glengairn
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Kincardine And Deeside
  • Former County Aberdeenshire

Archaeology Notes

NJ40SW 5 4172 0425.

(NJ 4172 0425) Pictish House (NR) (Remains of)

OS 6" map, Aberdeenshire, 2nd ed., (1902)

The association of underground with overground dwellings is seen in the Milton of Whitehouse earthhouse, discovered and excavated in 1894. Situated in a sandy hillock it measures 37ft 6inches long internally. About nine feet of floor of the inner end is paved. No roofing stones were found so here, wood must have been the material employed. Finds included a piece of bronze wire, a stone whorl, fragments of clay vessels and querns and quantities of ash and charred wood. Before the discovery of the house large quantities of ash had been turned up bythe plough in a hollow in a field near the house.

18ft from the entrance there is a piece of pavement, 7ft 9inches long and 5ft 3inches at the broadest end. It consists of flat undressed stones raised above the level of the field. Ashes were found round it. No doubt the remains of an overground dwelling the perishable parts of which have disappeared.

J Abercromby 1904; J G Michie 1910; A Ogston 1931.

Activities

(6 November 1968)

A souterrain exposed as excavated. The 'pavement' 18ft from the entrance is overgrown and reduced in size. No other trace of an associated overground dwelling.

Visited by OS (R L) 6 November 1968.

Field Visit (6 November 1968)

A souterrain exposed as excavated. The 'pavement' 18ft from the entrance is overgrown and reduced in size. No other trace of an associated overground dwelling.

Visited by OS (R L) 6 November 1968.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions