Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Our online mapping services, aerial photography and satellite imaging layers are undergoing scheduled maintenance on Sundays in June. Service might be intermittent or unavailable on 6, 20 and 27 June. Thank you for your patience.

 

Glasgow, 215 High Street

Bank (Financial) (19th Century), Tenement (19th Century)

Site Name Glasgow, 215 High Street

Classification Bank (Financial) (19th Century), Tenement (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) 7, 9 Nicholas Street; British Linen Bank

Canmore ID 168232

Site Number NS56NE 1937

NGR NS 59864 65254

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/168232

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish Glasgow (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE:

Glasgow, 215 High Street, 7, 9 Nicholas Street.

A shop dating from 1560 was removed from this site at some point in the 19th Century.

Site Management (4 October 2007)

Narrow asymmetrical 2-bay 3-storey tenement with Edwardian Renaissance details, former bank premises to ground, now shop. Long return elevation to Nicholas Street, partly single storey. Polished red sandstone, polished pink granite basecourse. HIGH STREET ELEVATION: roll-moulded door to right, above rises 4-light corbelled canted oriel to 1st and 2nd, good decorative over-lintel with leaded oculus. To left, basket-arched tripartite, round-arched bipartites to 1st and 2nd. All windows sash and case with plate-glass glazing. Stepped gable to left with statue at apex. Balustraded parapet to right with lead ogee-domed tempietoto. NICHOLAS STREET: 2-bay return elevation to main High Street facade, to right single storey and attic irregular mews wing with shouldered windows and stepped gable to right.

Bronze plaque records the site of the house of the poet Thomas Campbell, 1777-1844. (Historic Scotland) whose works include "Ye Marinders of England" , known to be friends with Sir Walter Scott, Wordsworth, Coleridge, Byron and Keats. A shop reputed to date from 1560 is said to have been cleared from the site at some point during the 19th century (RCAHMS)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions