Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Morenish Lodge

Farmstead (Period Unassigned), Hotel (Period Unassigned), Hunting Lodge (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Morenish Lodge

Classification Farmstead (Period Unassigned), Hotel (Period Unassigned), Hunting Lodge (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 167849

Site Number NN53NE 19

NGR NN 59892 35223

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/167849

Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Kenmore (Perth And Kinross)
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Architecture Notes

NN53NE 19 59892 35223

EXTERNAL REFERENCE

Scottish National Buildings Record

Additions and repairs to Shooting Lodges on the Estate.

Report by John Dewar, Carpenter at Kenmore.

Morenish House Addition now finished (1861)

Repair of Shooting Lodges on the Estate.

Copy of report by John Dewar, Carpenter at Kenmore.

Repair work completed or about to be undertaken at:

Morenish House (1862).

Morenish Lodge, now a hotel, was constructed in 1843-4 and let to shooting parties from 1844. John Harrison's 2003 report on Ben Lawers (RCAHMS Ms 1155/6, p.263) includes a description of the accommodation in 1852, noting that the tenant of the Morenish and Glenlyon shootings for that year found the lodge inadequate.

The Lodge stands on the site of a farmstead depicted on John Farquharson's 1769 Survey of the North Side of Loch Tay (National Archives of Scotland, RHP 973/1, Plan 3). Farquharson shows four buildings and an enclosure, and this was one of six settlements mapped by him on the farm of Ardvoile.

(BL00 2514)

Information from RCAHMS (SDB) 19 November 2003

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions