Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Architecture Notes

Event ID 729729

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Architecture Notes


NN53NE 19 59892 35223


Scottish National Buildings Record

Additions and repairs to Shooting Lodges on the Estate.

Report by John Dewar, Carpenter at Kenmore.

Morenish House Addition now finished (1861)

Repair of Shooting Lodges on the Estate.

Copy of report by John Dewar, Carpenter at Kenmore.

Repair work completed or about to be undertaken at:

Morenish House (1862).

Morenish Lodge, now a hotel, was constructed in 1843-4 and let to shooting parties from 1844. John Harrison's 2003 report on Ben Lawers (RCAHMS Ms 1155/6, p.263) includes a description of the accommodation in 1852, noting that the tenant of the Morenish and Glenlyon shootings for that year found the lodge inadequate.

The Lodge stands on the site of a farmstead depicted on John Farquharson's 1769 Survey of the North Side of Loch Tay (National Archives of Scotland, RHP 973/1, Plan 3). Farquharson shows four buildings and an enclosure, and this was one of six settlements mapped by him on the farm of Ardvoile.

(BL00 2514)

Information from RCAHMS (SDB) 19 November 2003

People and Organisations