Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glasgow Corporation Waterworks, Mugdock Road, Mugdock Reservoir

Reservoir (19th Century)

Site Name Glasgow Corporation Waterworks, Mugdock Road, Mugdock Reservoir

Classification Reservoir (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Loch Katrine Scheme; Milngavie Water Treatment Works

Canmore ID 166747

Site Number NS57NE 63

NGR NS 55637 75824

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/166747

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Dunbartonshire
  • Parish New Kilpatrick (Bearsden And Milngavie)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Bearsden And Milngavie
  • Former County Dunbartonshire

Archaeology Notes

NS57NE 63.00 55637 75824

Mugdock Reservoir [NAT]

OS 1:10,000 map, 1976.

For associated Craigmaddie Reservoir (adjacent to E and SE), see NS57NE 61.

NS57NE 63.01 NS 55599 76479 and NS 55634 76466 Gauge Basins

NS57NE 63.02 NS 55533 76447 Pump House

NS57NE 63.03 NS 55592 76333 Footbridge

NS57NE 63.04 NS 55831 75534 Chlorinating House

NS57NE 63.05 NS 55828 75501 Straining Well

NS57NE 63.06 NS 5598 7555 MEASURING POND AND SLUICE

NS57NE 63.07 NS 5598 7555 STRAINING WELL, VALVE TOWER

NS57NE 63.08 NS 55847 75462 Memorial

Notes:

Craigmaddie Reservoir Valve Tower

A valve tower and access gantry, the purpose of which is to control the flow of water from Craigmaddie Reservoir into the adjacent straining well, from which it is taken to Glasgow. At the time of survey in 2001, there were plans to bypass the straining well with a modern water had been submitted, and were later approved in 2003. The valve tower was therefore likely to become disused.

Control House

A collection of buildings, mostly rubble-built with slate roofs, dating from the completion of the first phase of the water works scheme in 1859. The flow of water into and from the adjacent Mugdock and Craigmaddie reservoirs is controlled and monitored from these buildings, as is water quality.

Craigmaddie Reservoir Outflow Sluices

Sluice gates, overflow channel and tunnel for Craigmaddie Reservoir, which was completed in 1896.

Craimaddie Straining Well

A 'straining well' into which water from Craigmaddie Reservoir passes on its way to Glasgow. This was the second of two straining wells, and is associated with the second phase of the Glasgow Corporation's Water Works' Katrine project, which came on stream in 1890s. It was recorded by RCAHMS in 2001 because a proposed new water treatment plant (required to meet EU regulations, and approved in 2003) will render it redundant, after which it will be permanently emptied.

Dam and Causeway between Mugdock and Craigmaddie Reservoirs

A rubble-faced dam and causeway separating the two reservoirs of the Glasgow Corporation Water Works at Milngavie. At the north-west side is Mugdock Reservoir, which is associated with the original scheme, which first brought water from Loch Katrine to Glasgow in 1859. On the south-east side is Craigmaddie Reservoir, which dates from the expansion of the scheme and was completed in 1896.

Information from RCAHMS (MKO) 2001.

Activities

Aerial Photography (2 April 2003)

Aerial Photography (2 April 2003)

Aerial Photography (2 April 2003)

Aerial Photography (2 April 2003)

Aerial Photography (2 April 2003)

Aerial Photography (2 April 2003)

Aerial Photography (2 April 2003)

Aerial Photography (2 April 2003)

Aerial Photography (2 April 2003)

Aerial Photography (2 April 2003)

Aerial Photography (2 April 2003)

Aerial Photography (2 April 2003)

Aerial Photography (2 April 2003)

Project (2007)

This project was undertaken to input site information listed in 'Civil engineering heritage: Scotland - Lowlands and Borders' by R Paxton and J Shipway, 2007.

Publication Account (2007)

Mugdock Reservoir, Milngavie: Adjoins Craigmaddie service reservoir and is about ten miles from the city centre [of Glasgow] to which they are connected by an extensive pipe network. Mugdock Reservoir, constructed from 1855– 59, has embankments across two valleys which are respectively 69 ft and 53 ft high, a water surface of 62 acres, a depth of 50 ft and a storage capacity of 540 million gallons. The water is retained by a clay embankment.

R Paxton and J Shipway 2007

Reproduced from 'Civil Engineering heritage : Scotland - Lowlands and Borders' with kind permission of Thomas Telford Publishers.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions