Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset


Pictish Symbol Stone (Pictish)

Site Name Advie

Classification Pictish Symbol Stone (Pictish)

Canmore ID 16036

Site Number NJ13SW 2

NGR NJ 1265 3426

NGR Description moved from NJ 142 353

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2023.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Cromdale, Inverallan And Advie
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Badenoch And Strathspey
  • Former County Morayshire

Early Medieval Carved Stones Project

Advie (?St Bride), Moray, Pictish symbol stone fragment

Measurements: H 0.91m, W 0.41m

Stone type:

Place of discovery: NJ 142 353

Present location: built into the wall of the parish church.

Evidence for discovery: thought to have come from the site of the old parish church, close to the River Spey to the north-east of the modern church.

Present condition: broken and weathered.


Trimmed for re-use, this fragment is incised with part of a large crescent and V-rod over a circular disc with a stubby indented rectangle.

Date: seventh century

References: Fraser 2008, no 88.

Desk-based information compiled by A Ritchie 2017

Archaeology Notes

NJ13SW 2 1265 3426, moved from to 142 353.

A rubbing of a fragment of a pictish symbol stone was donated to the National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland (NMAS) in 1906. It's believed to have been found in the old burial ground of the parish of Advie, near the river and a mile from the present church of Advie on whose vestry wall it is now preserved. The stone fragment is 3 feet long by 1 foot 4 inches wide.

Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1906.

Now preserved in Advie Church vestry, this Pictish Symbol Stone measuring 0.99m x 0.4m is not complete, but bears a part of the crescent and V-rod and the mirror case, both ornamented within the outline.

Information from R Jones 1980.

Class I symbol stone bearing a crescent and V-rod above a mirrorcase.

A.Mack 1997 p.105


Field Visit (1 August 1966)

Local enquiries failed to find any further information regarding the find-spot of this symbol stone. The old parish burial ground, still in use, is at NJ 142 353. As stated by PSAS the stone is now preserved in the north wall of the present church of Advie (NJ 1265 3426) and was probably inserted when the church was built in 1874 (a)

Visited by OS (W D J) 1 August 1966.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions