Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Caledonian Canal, Fort Augustus Lighthouse

Beacon (Period Unassigned), Lighthouse (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Caledonian Canal, Fort Augustus Lighthouse

Classification Beacon (Period Unassigned), Lighthouse (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 160023

Site Number NH30NE 50

NGR NH 38231 09295

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/160023

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2017.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Boleskine And Abertarff
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Inverness
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Archaeology Notes

NH30NE 50 38231 09295

Lighthouse [NAT]

OS (GIS) AIB, May 2006.

Location formerly entered as NH 3823 0930.

(Fort Augustus: location cited as NH 382 092). At SE side of entrance to Caledonian Canal: 20th century. Cylindrical tower of concrete blockwork, with conical metal roof, small window for light.

J R Hume 1997.

This lighthouse, on the S side of the canal as it enters Loch Ness, is clearly marked on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1874, sheet lxviii), on the 2nd edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1904, sheet lxviii), on the current edition fo the OS 1:10000 map (1971) and on the OS Basic Scale raster map (ND).

Information from RCAHMS (MD) 20 September 2001.

This lighthouse is, in reality, an unoccupied beacon. It is situated below (to the E of) Fort Augustus locks (NH30NE 16.01).

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 8 May 2006.

Activities

Field Visit (6 February 2014 - 6 February 2014)

Fort Augustus, Lighthouse

This lighthouse is similar to others on the canal. It is a small circular structure, 3m in diameter x c7m in height, built of concrete blocks. The structure has a conical tarred felt roof and a door on the NE side. A small window above the door houses a light which is still in use. A metal bracket is above the window. There is no date inscribed on the structure. (the Corpach lighthouse has 1912 inscribed above door)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions