Fort Augustus, Lighthouse View from ENE
Description Fort Augustus, Lighthouse View from ENE
Collection John R Hume
Catalogue Number SC 549308
Category On-line Digital Images
Scope and Content Lighthouse, Fort Augustus, Caledonian Canal, Inverness-shire This lighthouse marks the entrance to the Caledonian Canal from the south west end of Loch Ness to a pound running to Kytra, a single lock. It replaced an earlier light on a cast-iron base, similar to surviving lights at Clachnaharry and Gairlochy. This view shows the lighthouse from the north east, looking away from the loch. The lantern faces towards the loch. The tower is built of concrete blocks. There are similar lights at Gairlochy and Corpach. The Caledonian Canal was built from 1803 with Government funding partly to provide employment in the Highlands, and partly to allow small warships to avoid the hazardous voyage round the north of Scotland, through the Pentland Firth. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.
External Reference H78/172/14
Attribution: © HES. Reproduced courtesy of J R Hume
Licence Type: Permission to Reproduce
You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.
Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]