Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Blacksboat Station

Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Site Name Blacksboat Station

Classification Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Blacksboat Railway Station

Canmore ID 16000

Site Number NJ13NE 20

NGR NJ 18317 38954

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Moray
  • Parish Knockando
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Moray
  • Former County Morayshire

Accessing Scotland's Past Project

Blacksboat Railway Station was closed to passenger traffic in 1965, having been opened in 1863. The station lay on the Great North of Scotland Railway, previously called the Strathspey Railway.

The station is typical of those in the Strathspey area, comprising two platforms, a rectangular rubble station building and a wooden goods shed. The buildings still stand today, although most of the track has now been dismantled.

The Strathspey Railway ran from Boat of Garten to Dufftown, alongside the River Spey for long stretches.

Steam trains still operate on part of the track.

Text prepared by RCAHMS as part of the Accessing Scotland's Past project

Archaeology Notes

NJ13NE 20.00 18317 38954

NJ13NE 20.01 NJ 18302 38903 Goods Shed

For adjacent overbridge, see NJ13NE 52.

(Location cited as NJ 182 388). Blacksboat Station, opened in 1863 by the Strathspey Rly [later incorporated into the Great North of Scotland Rly]. A typical Strathspey 2-platform through station, with a rectangular coursed-rubble platform building. There is a wooden goods shed.

J R Hume 1977

This intermediate station was opened on 1 July 1863 (by the Strathspey Rly) and closed to regular passenger traffic on 18 October 1965.

G Daniels and L Dench 1980; R V J Butt 1995.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions