Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Dumfries, Shakespeare Street, St Andrew's Rc Pro-cathedral

Church (19th Century)

Site Name Dumfries, Shakespeare Street, St Andrew's Rc Pro-cathedral

Classification Church (19th Century)

Canmore ID 159934

Site Number NX97NE 340

NGR NX 97478 76081

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/159934

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Dumfries
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Nithsdale
  • Former County Dumfries-shire

Architecture Notes

NX97NE 340.00 97478 76081

NX97NE 341.01 97459 76086 Steeple Tower

NX97NE 341.02 97468 76102 School

NX97NE 341.03 97467 76105 School Tower

St Andrew's Pro-Cathedral was destroyed by fire in 1961. The school has since been demolished, only the two towers remain.

NMRS REFERENCE:

1811-13 Italianate Church

1843-58 Tower and Spire

1871-72 Transepts and Apse

1879 Interior Decoration

EXTERNAL REFERENCE:

Scottish Catholic Archives, 16 Drummond Place, Edinburgh.

Pamphlet which gives John McCracken as builder and mason and John Gadden and Robert Carlyle as carpenters for the first church.

Activities

Photographic Survey (1956)

Photographic survey by the Scottish National Buildings Record in 1956.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions