Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Architecture Notes

Event ID 841252

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Architecture Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/841252

NX97NE 340.00 97478 76081

NX97NE 341.01 97459 76086 Steeple Tower

NX97NE 341.02 97468 76102 School

NX97NE 341.03 97467 76105 School Tower

St Andrew's Pro-Cathedral was destroyed by fire in 1961. The school has since been demolished, only the two towers remain.

NMRS REFERENCE:

1811-13 Italianate Church

1843-58 Tower and Spire

1871-72 Transepts and Apse

1879 Interior Decoration

EXTERNAL REFERENCE:

Scottish Catholic Archives, 16 Drummond Place, Edinburgh.

Pamphlet which gives John McCracken as builder and mason and John Gadden and Robert Carlyle as carpenters for the first church.

People and Organisations

References