Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glasgow, Kelvinside, 23 Saltoun Street, Kelvinside Hillhead Parish Church

Church (Period Unassigned), War Memorial (20th Century)

Site Name Glasgow, Kelvinside, 23 Saltoun Street, Kelvinside Hillhead Parish Church

Classification Church (Period Unassigned), War Memorial (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Belmont And Hillhead Parish Church; Grosvenor Crescent; Observatory Road; War Memorial

Canmore ID 159800

Site Number NS56NE 1099

NGR NS 56629 67303

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/159800

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish Govan (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Recording Your Heritage Online

Belmont & Hillhead Parish Church, 23 Saltoun Street, 1875, James Sellars

Won in competition, beating William Leiper and John Honeyman. Delightful French Gothic, inspired by Sainte Chapelle, Paris, but details adapted from the Lady Chapel of Saint Germer. West front rose window, large sculptured angels, twin turrets, slate roof, tiled cresting, elaborate flèche. Rib-vaulted timber roof and carved choir stalls; marble communion table; elaborate timber canopy to marble font; oak pulpit, 1924, T Taylor. Stained glass, 1893, Edward Burne-Jones; 1893-1903, Cottier & Co.; 1917, William Meikle & Sons; 1958, Sadie McLellan. Interior remodelled 1921, Dr Peter Macgregor Chalmers.

Taken from "Greater Glasgow: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Sam Small, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Architecture Notes

NS56NE 1099 56629 67303

Kelvinside Hillhead Parish Church [NAT]

OS (GIS) MasterMap, October 2009.

ARCHITECT: Campbell Douglas & Sellars, 1875-6.

(Undated) information in NMRS.

Tall apsed church located at junction of Saltoun Street and Observatory Road. Competition won by James Sellars, but the design may be mainly William Leiper's. A version of La Sainte Chapelle, Paris (1243-8, by Pierre de Montreuil), broadened to create a wide auditorium. Entrance front buttressed by two octagonal turrets, view from east dominated by polygonal apse. West front possibly influenced by contemporary St Finbar's Cathedral, Cork (by William Burges), featuring extensive carving. Interior groin-vaulted in wood. Features a large rose window and stained glass by Burne-Jones for Morris & Co, 1893, and by Cottier & Co, 1893-1903. Session room by T J Beveridge, 1955. Organ by H Willis & Son, 1876, restored 1930. Communion table of Rochette marble. Interior recast by P MacGregor Chalmers c.1921. Envelope repairs and upgrading by Philip Spence Associates 1982-5.

A Gomme & D M Walker 1968; SDA & RIAS 1985; E Williamson, A Riches and J Higgs 1990; Scotland's Churches Scheme 1999.

Activities

Project (February 2014 - July 2014)

A data upgrade project to record war memorials.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions