Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Dundee, Claverhouse Bleachworks

Bleach Works (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Dundee, Claverhouse Bleachworks

Classification Bleach Works (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Claverhouse Road, Claverhouse Bleachfield, Former Beetling House (Tvj Ltd); Barns Of Claverhouse Road

Canmore ID 158956

Site Number NO43SW 137

NGR NO 40825 33726

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/158956

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dundee, City Of
  • Parish Dundee (Dundee, City Of)
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District City Of Dundee
  • Former County Angus

Archaeology Notes

NO43SW 137.00 40825 33726.

NO43SW 137.01 40771 33674 Mains of Claverhouse

NO43SW 137.02 40866 33669 Office and Yarn Store

NO43SW 137.03 40922 33761 Chimney Stalk

(Location cited as NO 408 337). Claverhouse Bleachworks, founded c. 1824. A group of single-storey sandstone buildings, much altered and now used as a furniture works. The disused brick chimney stack, on a stone base, dominates the site. There is a one-storey and basement office range in near original condition.

J R Hume 1977.

Activities

Publication Account (2013)

There was a bleachfield at Claverhouse since at least 1792, operated then by Thomas Collier & Co. In 1814, the firm of Turnbull & Co, was founded at Claverhouse by Hector Turnbull with William Baxter and Henry Boase. Most successful and longest lived of the bleachfields on the Dighty, not least because those downstream had to contend with its pollution. The manager lived in the largest house within the complex, and several others were allocated to key positions in the business. A long two-storey range incorporated a school as well as a counting house, with a bell and a clock. The other surviving building is a beetling mill. A chimney, reduced in height, still has an impressive stone plinth. This was the bleachworks for Low and Bonar Ltd that included Baxter Brothers, (DE9) so it kept in work until the 1970s, then became a kitchen furniture factory, and then a housing development. The ponds and lades now are managed for their historic and nature conservation interests.

M Watson, 2013

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions