Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Perth, Cavalry Barracks

Barracks (19-20th Century), Barracks (First World War)

Site Name Perth, Cavalry Barracks

Classification Barracks (19-20th Century), Barracks (First World War)

Alternative Name(s) Queen's Barracks; Police Station

Canmore ID 158060

Site Number NO12SW 423

NGR NO 1133 2395

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/158060

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Perth
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

World War One Audit of Surviving Remains (12 September 2013)

The Queen's Barracks appears on the 1st edition OS map as for both inantry and cavalry, at what was then the NW edge of the town. By the time of the 2nd edition map (surveyed 1900) the barracks had attracted further buildings on the same-sized site, but was surrounded on north and west sides by industrial buildings.

The barracks was the regimental depot of the Black Watch. It was demolished in the mid 1960s. Its former existence is commemorated by the street names Barrack Street (along its former eastern boundary) and Black Watch Street. The site is now occupied by a police station, the western extension of Atholl Street and modern housing.

Information from HS/RCAHMS World War One Audit Project (GJB) 12 September 2013.

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE:

Perth, Queens Barracks was demolished 1965/6. Information from NMRS Demolitions catalogue.

Activities

Project (March 2013 - September 2013)

A project to characterise the quantity and quality of the Scottish resource of known surviving remains of the First World War. Carried out in partnership between Historic Scotland and RCAHMS.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions