Perth, Cavalry Barracks
Barracks (19th Century) - (20th Century), Barracks (First World War)
Site Name Perth, Cavalry Barracks
Classification Barracks (19th Century) - (20th Century), Barracks (First World War)
Alternative Name(s) Queen's Barracks; Police Station
Canmore ID 158060
Site Number NO12SW 423
NGR NO 11336 23955
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/158060
- Council Perth And Kinross
- Parish Perth
- Former Region Tayside
- Former District Perth And Kinross
- Former County Perthshire
The Queen's Barracks appears on the 1st edition OS map as for both inantry and cavalry, at what was then the NW edge of the town. By the time of the 2nd edition map (surveyed 1900) the barracks had attracted further buildings on the same-sized site, but was surrounded on north and west sides by industrial buildings.
The barracks was the regimental depot of the Black Watch. It was demolished in the mid 1960s. Its former existence is commemorated by the street names Barrack Street (along its former eastern boundary) and Black Watch Street. The site is now occupied by a police station, the western extension of Atholl Street and modern housing.
Information from HS/RCAHMS World War One Audit Project (GJB) 12 September 2013.
NMRS REFERENCE:
Perth, Queens Barracks was demolished 1965/6. Information from NMRS Demolitions catalogue.
Project (March 2013 - September 2013)
A project to characterise the quantity and quality of the Scottish resource of known surviving remains of the First World War. Carried out in partnership between Historic Scotland and RCAHMS.
