Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Castle Grant, North Lodge, Railway Bridge

Railway Bridge (19th Century)

Site Name Castle Grant, North Lodge, Railway Bridge

Classification Railway Bridge (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) East Lodge Railway Bridge

Canmore ID 15738

Site Number NJ03SW 4

NGR NJ 03268 30205

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/15738

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Cromdale, Inverallan And Advie
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Badenoch And Strathspey
  • Former County Morayshire

Archaeology Notes

NJ03SW 4 03268 30205

Location cited as NJ )32 302). Castle Grant, ornamental railway bridge, opened 1863 by the Inverness and Perth Junction Railway.

J R Hume 1977.

Architecture Notes

NJ03SW 4 0326 3020

A segmental-arch bridge designed to mimic the appearance of a castle gatehouse; a castellated parapet flanked either side by a faux-turret buttress. The bridge also has wing-walls projecting from the buttresses which terminate in circular piers, adding to the effect.

J R Hume 1977

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions