Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, Grove Street, General

General View

Site Name Edinburgh, Grove Street, General

Classification General View

Canmore ID 156997

Site Number NT27SW 3066

NGR NT 24370 73135

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/156997

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Summary Record

Grove Street was first conceived in the 1820s as being formed in three parts, with North and South Grove Streets leading to a central Grove Square. It was to be built on the Grove property of John Bonar Esq. It was never built in this form.

By 1849 the lowest number buildings on Grove Street, had been built, running south from Morrison Street. Across the railway bridge, the road was known as Grove Lane, and was little built up. It lead to Fountainbridge.

Over the next few years the street, and the adjoining streets of Upper Grove Place and Brandfield Street, were completed. They are shown as fully formed on the OS 1st Edition map, published in 1856.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions