Glasgow, 206, 208, 210, 212 Old Dumbarton Road, Bishop Mills
Site Name Glasgow, 206, 208, 210, 212 Old Dumbarton Road, Bishop Mills
Alternative Name(s) Partick; Bishop's Mill; River Kelvin
Canmore ID 150922
Site Number NS56NE 1074
NGR NS 56221 66304
NGR Description Centred NS 56221 66304
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
- Council Glasgow, City Of
- Parish Glasgow (City Of Glasgow)
- Former Region Strathclyde
- Former District City Of Glasgow
- Former County Lanarkshire
NS56NE 1074.00 centred 56221 66304
NS56NE 1074.01 NS 56260 66292 to NS 56310 66337 weir
Bishop Mills (Corn) [NAT]
OS 1:1250 map, 1975.
Bishop Mills, 206 Old Dumbarton Road, rebuilt 1839 and c. 1853 for William Wilson, miller and grain merchant. A four-storey, 2- by 10-bay coursed rubble building with wheatsheaves at the apices of the gables. There is a brick wheel house, now empty, on the S end. A four-storey four-bay brick building was added later, and is linked to the older building by covered gangways.
Originally powered by a waterwheel, a turbine was used until the early 1950's, with steam, gas and petrol auxiliary power at various times. The mill is now electrified.
J R Hume 1974.
Converted to residential use 1986-87
Information (AC), 3 June 2004.