Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Auchindoune

Cist(S) (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Auchindoune

Classification Cist(S) (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Auchindown

Canmore ID 15071

Site Number NH84NW 9

NGR NH 838 479

NGR Description NH c. 838 479

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/15071

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Cawdor
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Nairn
  • Former County Nairn

Archaeology Notes

NH84NW 9 c. 838 479.

Four cists, at least one of which was short, were found on the eastern and lower slope of the hill well-known as the Doune (Dun Evan: NH84NW 5), and almost on the ridge ... close to the farm-steading of Auchindoune (H C MacAndrew 1885) (NH 838 479) during ploughing in 1878. Three of the cists had been disturbed by prevous ploughing and were filled with sand and gravel, intermixed with human bones, sherds and a black charred substance. The fourth cist was at slightly greater depth and was consequently better preserved. It contained a crouched skeleton and what appears from the description to have been a beaker. The only other possible grave-good was a white pebble. The cist was left in situ. Sherds of a cinerary urn found in a cist at Auchindoune in 1877 are in Inverness Museum accompanied (in 1933) by other sherds representing three beakers and a food-vessel, the association suggesting that thay may also have come from Auchindoune.

Possibly from the same site may have come various vessels described as being found 'at Cawdor' (c.1 mile NNE).

These include:-

a) Two beakers, from a cist, which were in Nairn Museum in 1888, but are now lost.

b) Two beakers, from a cist containing a skeleton, which were donated to the University Museum of Archaeology and Ethnology, Cambridge in 1925 (evidently not the same as 'a').

c) A food-vessel in NMAS (EE 9).

From the Cawdor Estate (PSAS 1966) on which Auchindoune lies, come parts of a short-necked beaker and two others, which were long preserved at Cawdor Castle, but were donated to the National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland (NMAS) by Earl Cawdor in 1963 (EG 99-101).

If all these finds are from Auchindoune, they suggest the existence of an extensive BA cemetery.

H C MacAndrew 1885; J G Callander 1933; Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1966; I C Walker 1967.

No further information.

Visited by OS (A A) 29 January 1971.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions