Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

St Drostan's Chapel

Chapel (Period Unassigned)

Site Name St Drostan's Chapel

Classification Chapel (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) St Drostan's Church

Canmore ID 14901

Site Number NH80SW 1

NGR NH 82268 04633

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/14901

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2022.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Alvie
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Badenoch And Strathspey
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Archaeology Notes

NH80SW 1.00 82268 04633

NH80SW 1.01 82270 04622 Graveyard

(NH 8227 0463) Supposed Site of St. Drostan's Chapel (NR).

OS 6"map, Inverness, 2nd ed., (1903)

There was a chapel at Dunachton at a very early period. It stood where there is now a small burial-ground, between the railway and the highway, the surrounding field being known as the Chapel Field. (C Fraser-Mackintosh 1866) St. Drostan's Chapel below Dunachton House is the 'Cepella de Nachtan' mentioned in 1380. The burial-ground was enclosed by a stone wall in the mid-19th century, and a mock ruin built by Mackintosh of Moy, by whom it is kept as a family burial ground. (A Macbain 1891)

C Fraser-Mackintosh 1866; A Macbain 1891.

The 'highway' referred to by Mackintosh is probably Wade's Road. Apart from the 'mock ruin', there are no visible remains of a building within the graveyard enclosure. At the entrance to the ruin there is a plaque to the effect that this tomb was built by the desire and at the expense of Captain George Mackintosh who died in 1780.

Visited by OS (RL) 30 November 1966.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions