Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glasgow, University Avenue, University Of Glasgow, Main Building

Faculty Building (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Glasgow, University Avenue, University Of Glasgow, Main Building

Classification Faculty Building (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Main Block; Gilmorehill; Gilbert Scott Building

Canmore ID 147602

Site Number NS56NE 992

NGR NS 56878 66665

NGR Description Centred on NS 56878 66665

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/147602

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish Govan (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Architecture Notes

ARCHITECT: Sir George Gilbert Scott 1870

Edward Blore (entrance front)

J Oldrid Scott

A-listed building, based on fourteenth century Gothic style. Built around two quadrangles, each c.180 sq feet. Vaulted space beneath Bute Hall connects quadrangles. South and north fronts extend to 540 feet. Lion and unicorn staircase retained from old College (balusters late 17th century). Cost : #190,000. University took possession of partially completed buildings November 1870. Legacy from Charles Randolph, engineer, and gift from Marquis of Bute allowed for building of Bute Hall and completion of tower (1887) by John Oldrid Scott, son of George Gilbert, with an open-work stone spire, rather than St Pancras Station-style intended by GGS.

Dr Hutcheson 1951; A Ross & J Hume 1975

Two-phase conservation work on exterior fabric by Pollock Hammond Partnership, Linlithgow (completed 1996).

RIAS 1996

REFERENCE:

RIBA Drawings Collection

Sir G Gilbert Scott contract drawings

- plan of 1st floor and upper part of octagon and sections transverse and longitudinal

- perspective of interior of Great Hall

J Oldrid Scott

- transverse section of Randolph Memorial Hall

Activities

Photographic Survey (1900 - 1930)

Photographs by A Brown & Co of sites across Scotland c1900-1930

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions