Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Edinburgh, West Mains Road, University Of Edinburgh, King's Buildings, Civil And Environmental Engineering

University (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Edinburgh, West Mains Road, University Of Edinburgh, King's Buildings, Civil And Environmental Engineering

Classification University (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Animal Genetics; Dept. Of Animal Breeding Research; Crew Building; Mayfield Road; Edinburgh University

Canmore ID 146542

Site Number NT27SE 526.01

NGR NT 26486 70627

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/146542

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

NT27SE 526.01 26486 70627

1929-30

Activities

Project (1997)

The Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (http://www.pmsa.org.uk/) set up a National Recording Project in 1997 with the aim of making a survey of public monuments and sculpture in Britain ranging from medieval monuments to the most contemporary works. Information from the Edinburgh project was added to the RCAHMS database in October 2010 and again in 2012.

The PMSA (Public Monuments and Sculpture Association) Edinburgh Sculpture Project has been supported by Eastern Photocolour, Edinburgh College of Art, the Edinburgh World Heritage Trust, Historic Scotland, the Hope Scott Trust, The Old Edinburgh Club, the Pilgrim Trust, the RCAHMS, and the Scottish Archive Network.

Field Visit (1 April 2000)

Bas-relief portrait profile of head of Francis Albert Eley Crew, looking to viewers' right. The relief is contained within a concave circular medallion enclosed by a rectangular section.

Francis Albert Eley Crew (1886-1973), professor of animal genetics, University of Edinburgh.

Inscriptions : Below portrait, on body of panel, raised lettering within incised blocks:

F.A.E. CREW F.R.S. / DIRECTOR / 1919 - 1944

Signatures : On left hand side of head adjacent to neck:

A.DODS / 1945

Design period : 1945

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN0037)

Field Visit (1 April 2000)

A relief comprising two life size naked figures kneeling either side of a small boy who is standing upon a pedestal above a stylised fountain. The male, to the viewer's left, and the female to the right, hold antique oil lamps aloft to the child, who is holding a smaller version of the lamp in his right hand. The lamps are fitted with chains to suspend them. The scene is mounted upon a stepped, three sided base.

Inscriptions : None Visible

Signatures : None Visible

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN0040)

Project (28 July 2016 - 11 August 2016)

A cultural heritage desk based assessment for the proposed redevelopment focused on the Geosciences Buildings and Engineering Buildings, King's Buildings, University of Edinburgh was undertaken in August 2016. The proposed development site is located at the west extent of the King's Buildings Campus in the south of Edinburgh centred on NGR NT 26466 70599. The proposed development comprises redevelopment of the Geosciences and Engineering buildings within the King's Buildings Campus.

Information from Callum Allsop (Rubicon Heritage Services) 11 August 2016: OASIS ID: rubiconh1-261722

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions